Sunday, April 20, 2008

Beer Review: Bitburger Premium Beer

Bitburger Premium Beer

This is a beer that I have not seen much of in the local stores around me but was given to me by my girlfriends father. I have now discovered that this is the number one draught beer in Germany. Pours a rich gold color with a very minimal head, which did not look like the picture posted above. This could have been due to inadequate pouring skills or wrong glass, I don't know. Aroma is very minimal with faint maltiness coming through.

Taste is very unique. I can't think of a beer to really compare this to. It has a strong malty presence but also a bit of hops to counter it. Very well balanced. This to me tastes like a solid pilsner where they left out some the hop bite and allowed aging to add character to the brew.

This is a very good beer. One of the best examples of a lager that packs quite a bit of flavor into a light color and body. I wish Anheuser-Busch would take some notes on what a light lager should be. While I would certainly get this in the future, I would have to be in the mood for it. If it were a little richer it would be ideal.

Final Score: 79% (Very good for the style, could be more rich)

No comments: