Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Beer Review: Dogfish Head World Wide Stout

Dogfish Head World Wide Stout

Took me a few minutes to understand the name. I think I get it now though. If an Imperial Stout is attempting to take over the world, maybe a World Wide Stout already has. This beer is described as "a very dark beer brewed with a ridiculous amount of barley". It is extremely dark and must have had a ridiculous amount of barley considering the 18% ABV in this leviathan. I don't think a beer can get much darker than this.

The flavor is very rich. Lots of alcohol and roasted malt. This results in a very sweet flavor with an aroma that is pure ethanol. Vastly different from traditional beer but every sip is extremely satisfying. I am sure a large amount of hops went into this as well but they are completely overpowered by the alcohol and maltyness.

By far the most intense Imperial Stout I have ever had. I love Imperial Stouts and this is better than most. The price ($8.99/12 oz. bottle) however, makes you wonder if its worth it. This is a great beer but I would rather have a six pack of solid Imperial Stouts for around 12 dollars than 1 bottle for 9. Dogfish Head is always pushing the limits and I love them for it. I prefer their extreme 120 minute IPA to this but this beer is no slouch. If you want a rich, dark, flavorful beer this will please. But it may not be the most bang for your buck, especially in the sluggish economy.

Final Score: 89% (Great Beer but Pricey and Not Worth The Cash)

No comments: