Thursday, June 10, 2010

Beer Review: Original Flag Porter


Darwin Brewing Company Original Flag Porter

Hearing rumors from a friend that this beer is retired and not seeing it on the website make me feel very fortunate to have found this historical beer (in more than one sense) before it disappears. This porter is brewed with yeast that was recovered from a ship that sunk in 1825. Very cool stuff. How can you not want to try this piece of history? The ale pours a dark amber color with an off white head. Aroma is very sweet. Almost like burnt sugar.

The flavor is also sweet. Dark roasted sugars dominate the palate with a very noticeable carbonation. Tingles on the tongue. I don't get much in the coffee department but some subtle chocolate comes through. Nothing revolutionary about the taste but I have to say that his is very drinkable and a solid example of what an English porter should be.

Overall, I don't have anything negative to say about this beer besides the price. I paid about 12 dollars for a four pack. This is a fun beer to try because of the historical gimmick but after you have had it I would recommend switching to something less expensive. In my opinion you aren't getting anything extra for your buck.

Final Score: 82% (Solid Beer, Too Pricey)

No comments: