Sunday, June 21, 2009

Beer Review: Licher Pilsner

Licher Private Brewery Licher Pilsner Lager

Another very generous gift beer.  This is a very authentic German pilsner, I can tell from the untranslated website.  Which has a surprising amount of content for a beer website and if you feel comfortable navigating it you can find some unique stuff http://www.licher.de.  The pilsner pours a light golden color with a very long lasting and fluffy white head.  Lacing is in force here.  Aroma is rich in sweet golden malt and sharp hop spice.  I also want to point out that they use the superior amber bottle rather than the green so often found with imported German brews.  

The flavor is exactly as it should be.  Uncomplicated lager goodness.  I love a good pilsner, the drinkability combined with the sharp spicy hop flavors and smooth malt really can hit the spot. I drink a ton of these in the summer, especially when it's incredibly hot or humid out.  You will find this to be one of the more balanced pilsners with a very noticeable hop flavor.   Definitely on the spicier Saaz hops side of things.  

This is a very high quality classic pilsner and one that I don't think will disappoint.  If I was to pick an area where this brew differed from other pilsners I would again say the hop profile is deeper than most, you really get some bitterness and flavor.  I am not sure how much this retails for but if you happen to find it (not that common yet) it is worth a shot.  

Final Score: 85% (Sharp Spicy Hop Flavor, Rich Malt, High Drinkability.)

No comments: