Friday, November 20, 2009

Beer Review: Saranac Maple Porter

Matt Brewing Company Saranac Maple Porter

This is a beer I am excited for. If it is anything like the caramel porter I am in for a treat. I have never heard of or encountered a maple flavored beer but I have to say I really like the idea. Sweet maple flavors combined with dark roasted porter can't be bad. This may be a novelty beer but I really don't care. All I care about is how it tastes. I never said I was too good for novelties. The porter comes out a dark amber color with a solid white head. Aroma is pure maple.

First sip... wow. Like the stellar caramel porter the maple flavor is not hidden at all. Even if it is added flavor this is not lacking anything maple. I feel bombarded with breakfast flavors that I very rarely actually eat. I am more of an eggs and meat guy than a pancake and syrup guy but this really works. Ironically, the typical beer flavor of this beer is dominated by the maple. Sounds bad but in my opinion it really isn't. I crawled up this beer mountain for maple and the top is by no means lacking. I may be ranting but it also could be beer bliss.

This is a great beer. One that I would buy a case of if I had the option. I wouldn't want this year round but this is a great winter treat. The beer lives up to its name and offers a rare flavor experience that inspires greatness. This is a great part of the 12 beers of winter and one I will try to enjoy as much as possible. Drink this with breakfast and you may win the lottery by lunch time.

Final Score: 93% (Unique and Flavorful. Dark, Rich, and Full Maple.)

No comments: