Monday, May 19, 2008

Beer Review: Rogue Dead Guy Ale

Rogue Dead Guy Ale

This is a unique taste experience. Also my first Rogue review. This Oregonian brewery certainly has the marketing aspect of the business down. A skeleton covered bottle referencing the inevitable demise of all of us is intriguing to say the least. Aroma is of tons of malt. I get wheat and some barley in there as well. Almost smells sweet. Color is as pictured, a rich copper color.
The head is there for a brief period but doesn't hang around too much.

Flavor is of ridiculous amount of wheat and honey. Its like a bee harvest in a glass. It tastes rich yet sweet. Almost like it wasn't fully fermented. Some roasted malt is present as well. I think the best way to describe it is as caramelized wheat with honey on top. I can't taste any hops at all. I am sure they must be in there but I get nothing. I think the hops really would have helped this beer, its not terrible but it could have been more balanced.

If you love honey and wheat this is a beer for you. If you dislike hops this is also a beer for you. But if you crave balanced flavor this is not a beer for you. The bottom line is that this is a sweet beer. The hops do not stand on their own. Definitely worth a shot though, it is a unique creation.

Final Score: 82% (Good Malt Flavor but Too Lopsided)

1 comment:

Banjo Bandolas said...

Hi,
Wow I think you might have gotten an off growler. Unless your idea of "Sweet" and "Hoppy" are very different than mine. I've found Dead Guy to be pretty well balanced and enjoyable. I usually go for the draft. I did get one over the weekend that was pretty hoppy compared to what I was used to and we determined it was because the pub was serving it a bit warm. I recommend you give Dead Guy another try.