Thursday, May 1, 2008

Beer Review: Weyerbacher Old Heathen

Weyerbacher Old Heathen Imperial Stout

I have a hard time turning down any beer with Imperial on it. Love the name and picture. Intriguing with that old world fear. Pours a deep dark brown with a caramel colored head. The head sticks around for a little but but settles out as a ring around the outside of the glass. I can't detect much of an aroma. I get some bock like malt odor but not much else.

The first thing I notice is the heavy mouthfeel. Much heavier than I expected, even for an Imperial Stout. Also surprising is the alcohol by volume (8%) which seems low for this style of beer. I would describe the taste as sweet and roasted. The actual word that I want to use is somewhere floating in my head but I can't grab it at the moment. Definitely some coffee and caramel flavors but nothing really out of the ordinary.

I feel that if this was brewed for a Czar this would not be as successful as other Imperial Stouts. It's an alright beer but the lower ABV and the lack of anything interesting in the flavor really impairs this beers success. Compared to an Irish Stout this is superior in my opinion but for the style this is disappointing. The hefty price tag doesn't help much either.

Final Score: 73% (Not Quite Up To Standards. Seek Imperial Elsewhere.)

No comments: