Thursday, June 5, 2008

Beer Review: Dirty Bastard Ale

Founder's Brewing Company Dirty Bastard Scotch Ale

I had to get this beer. I really don't see that many Scotch ales, especially this time of year. My experience with this style is limited but I have found that in the right mood, a Scotch ale can be extremely good. I don't know if I would call it an acquired taste but I can tell you that it has grown on me quite a bit. Founder's also pulls no punches when they brew this monster up to 8.3% ABV. Pours a dark brown color with a creamy tan head. The head lasts a real long time and provides great visual stimulation with its lacing.

The flavor is rich and complex. I am not 100% sure on this but I believe the distinct flavor comes from a special kind of malt roasting where low nitrogen barley is dried by peat burning. This is very similar to the kind of flavors you get in a good single malt scotch (which I also enjoy). You may have to have a liking of scotch in order to truly appreciate this beer. For all its flavor, it is still undeniably smooth. It feels incredibly light in the mouth and leaves only a slight roasted aftertaste.

This is definitely the best Scotch ale I have ever had. Rabbie Burns would certainly approve of this after filling his stomach with the finest and steamiest haggis. I recommend this to anyone who wants something a bit different, or to anyone who just wants a man's man beer. This will put hair on your chest.

Final Score: 90% (Complex and Warming, A Great Change of Pace)

No comments: