Monday, June 16, 2008

Beer Review: Saranac Belgian White

Saranac Belgian White

This is one of the staples of the Saranac 12 Beers of Summer. Providing some necessary variety and refreshment to the pack. Pours a cloudy golden color with a white fluffy head. Aroma is of coriander and some orange peel. Overall a spicy scent with lots of fluffy white clouds. Very appealing in the summer heat. Though the one thing thats lacking is the yeast sediment on the bottom. Some people wouldn't like it but I truly enjoy the flavor and freshness that the yeast bring to the table. The suspended yeast is nice, but having noticeable sediment is a great thing.

The flavor is classic Belgian White. A bit tangy with lots of spice upfront. Definitely a style that stands out in its flavor. I always have mixed feelings about this beer. I have definitely had better examples of White ales but this is one of the most thirst quenching beers I have ever had. The bitterness is just right to satisfying your thirsty mouth. Kinda like the refreshment of Gatorade.

I can honestly say that I wouldn't buy a six pack of this but I do enjoy it now and then with the 12 pack of summer beers. The bottom line is that if you want a real Belgian Wit Bier look elsewhere. This is somewhat close and a good intro but can't hold up to the real deal.

Final Score: 71% (OK, but not nearly the best.)

No comments: