Sunday, June 22, 2008

Beer Review: Winter's Bourbon Cask Ale

Anheuser-Busch's Winter's Bourbon Cask Ale

My curiosity got the best of me. I had avoided picking this up due to it being one of the seasonal offerings from Anheuser-Busch but I really could hold out no longer. I feel that they deserve their fair shot at craft brewing and I would try to judge it based on its merits rather than who produced it. This ale is described as being aged on bourbon barrel oak and vanilla beans. Pours a rich amber color with a thin fluffy head. No noticeable lacing present. Aroma is really pleasant, strong vanilla-malty character comes though easily.

Flavor is surprisingly very nice. The vanilla bean flavor really comes through. I taste a faint oak flavor but it is really in the background compared to the aggressive vanilla presence. I don't taste any hops at all but thats not really the worst thing in the world for this style of beer.

This is a very nice surprise and I will give AB credit for producing a unique beer with some nice flavor. It isn't the best winter beer I have ever had but it is slightly above average. I would like to try more of their seasonal brews now and see how they hold up.

Final Score: 77% (Good Winter Beer, Not Nearly the Best However.)

No comments: