Sunday, May 17, 2009

Beer Review: Saranac Summer Brew


F.X. Matt Brewing Company Saranac Summer Brew

I have never had a Radler (lager and lemonade) before and was a bit hesitant. I enjoy lemony flavors that can come out from certain strains of yeast but I don't know how I feel about mixing lemonade in. Seems too easy. Pours a VERY light yellow color with a minimal head.

Flavor is sweet. Loads of lemonade with a bit of malt and hop notes going on in the background. I really don't like when beer flavors are in the background. Especially when drinking a beer. There really isn't much to describe here, the malt flavor is paralyzed and the hops are in a coma. This is only for someone who doesn't like beer and is a huge fan of lemonade. But if that is the case why not just drink a lemonade?

I am glad they are still experimenting and trying to bring new flavors to America but this one can stay in Europe. This isn't horrible but it really doesn't taste like a beer. Drinkable only on the hottest of days and even then I would go for a pilsner over this. Lemonade and sweetness needs to be toned down a few notches. This might be good for the style but I really can't give a good score if there isn't anything positive to note.

Final Score: 55% (Very Lemony. Where is the Beer?)

No comments: