Sunday, November 11, 2007

Beer Review: Saranac Chocolate Amber Lager

Saranac Chocolate Amber Lager

This is my second beer review from the "12 Beers of Winter" case. This is definitely the darkest and thickest beer the Matt Family Brewery produces. I can put my glass right up to the light and get nearly nothing through it. I wonder if this was a wonderfully failed attempt at making chocolate syrup? Like most of their beers the head starts at a medium height and quickly disappears. This one doesn't seem to leave any lacing on the glass.

The flavor does not have a strong chocolate quality to it that I can detect. This actually doesn't bother me at all because I don't really know if I want a beer that tastes like a Gump Box. I think the chocolate name might just refer to the dark and rich quality of the beer. Overall, I think this is one of the best beers in the Saranac line. It is velvety smooth and has a rich nuttiness to it. Kinda like a less better version of Smithwicks. This is a beer that I will greatly miss when the season is over and I encourage all thick beer lovers to enjoy this one's dark magic.

Final Score: 86% (Well Worth It)

No comments: