Saturday, December 8, 2007

Beer Review: Saranac Octoberfest

Saranac Octoberfest Lager

Let me first say that I have no idea why they spelt Oktoberfest with a "c". Maybe it has something to do with it being produced in America. I really couldn't tell you. Almost makes me want to inquire with the Matt Brewing Company. But I really shouldn't sweat the small stuff. They haven't completely gone away from tradition with the correct diamond pattern label.

This beer pours a rich amber color with a quickly dissipating head. What I love about this beer is that they have captured the real German qualities of Oktoberfest beer and made them affordable and easily accessible to people in the USA. This beer can definitely hold its own to the likes of Paulaner and Spatan. Those beers are great and can be wonderful but there is something about finding a great domestic beer that really rocks. This beer is rich and heavy and has the almost caramel quality flavor that good Oktoberfest beers possess. This is one that I will truly miss once spring and summer roll around. This is a beer that I could always look forward to and has the qualities of a beer that you could drink in quantity but it also could be completely satisfying in a one beer session.

If you have never had an Oktoberfest beer this is a good one to start with. It may not be a true Marzen beer but it really tastes like the purity law product. I give my sincere congratulations to those fantastic employees of the Matt Brewing Company yet again as they continue to produce the highest quality beer at the most affordable prices.

Final Score: 80% (America Fights Back!)

No comments: