Saturday, April 26, 2008

Beer Review: Red Stripe


Red Stripe Jamaican Lager

The most famous Jamaican beer. The infamous Red Stripe. I had no idea what to expect from this, I have had Red Stripe before but its been a good five years so my memory is a bit hazy. Pour the lightest color I have ever seen in a beer. I dare call it off white. Aroma is faintly of malt with no hop presence. Head is somewhat there but nothing too large.

Flavor is very unique. I expected a completely bland corn tasting beer but I was pleasantly surprised. Malt is very much in effect. Tastes almost like a light bock beer. I get slight hints of fresh mint in it. Definitely a well brewed beer and this would have certainly been a great import find before the craft brewing movement in America.

This recipe captures the desire for light beer that would fit in with the intense island heat of Jamaica while not compromising a great flavor. I would recommend this to anyone who is going to spend a day in the sun. Really has a fresh and light flavor with little sacrifice of taste.

Final Score: 83% (Light body and Great Flavor)

No comments: