Monday, February 4, 2008

Beer Review: Samuel Adams Double Bock

Samuel Adams Double Bock


This was a nice find. I love the variety of beers that Sam Adams produces but I don't like that I can only seem to find the same four (Boston Lager, Light, Cream Stout, and Black Lager) at every store I go to. It is always exciting to find a new beer to try. This is a great example of a good winter beer. Rich, dark, and malty. The high (8.8%) alcohol is also sure to keep you toasty and happy.

This one pours a dark brown color with a small head that leaves some lacing. Smells of malty goodness, like a fresh can of malt extract. Very strong malty flavor, I can't detect even a hint of hops. They are probably in there but I just get malt. This isn't actually a bad thing for this style. You really go for a bock to get the sweet warmth. Overall this is a very good beer. Complex flavor with a lot of body. This is a real sipper. You will not enjoy drinking this quickly. If you want to experience the warmth and richness of malt give this a try. This is probably the exact opposite of an IPA. I love both.

Final Score: 82% (Great Example of a Strong Bock, Might Knock You Around)

No comments: