Saturday, February 2, 2008

Beer Review: Saranac Imperial IPA


Saranac Imperial IPA

The actual first in the Saranac "High Peaks" series but my second one to sample. I had to look long and hard for this one and the only place that had it was Monster Liquor in Glassboro, NJ. Great beer store if you can get to it. The Imperial title definitely means an experience. If you want hops and alcohol you are barking up the right tree. This bold beer smacks you with both. Ten malts and ten hops really do add up.

It poors a dark amber color with a persistent lacing head. Good sign of a hoppy beer. You can even smell the floral aroma of the hops used in this beer. Very noticeable citrus hop flavor with a strong bite afterwards. This is exactly what I look for in an IPA. Lots of hops and never a dull moment.

If this were available year round I would have another "go to" beer. Unfortunately it isn't. I hope they get smart and make it a staple of their brewery. I really love the offerings that the High Peaks series has been putting out and I am truly excited about whatever they come up with next. Any IPA fans would do well to try this if they can.

Final Score: 81% (Damn Good IPA)

No comments: