Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Beer Review: Brooklyner Weisse

Brooklyn Brewing Company Brooklyner Weisse Ale

Finally got around to trying this one. Even though this is actually brewed in upstate New York it still feels like I am supporting local brewers. This definitely isn't the season for a wheat beer but I just had a craving for some unfiltered goodness. Damn the rules. Maybe it's my Bavarian ancestors. I have no idea why they left if this was a daily occurrence. I have yet to brew a wheat beer that I really enjoy. I just don't know what I am doing wrong. Maybe if I drink enough of these I will figure it out. That usually works... Anyway, aroma is actually very sour smelling, kinda like a wheat malt brewed with wild yeast. Though I doubt they would use that if they wanted the kind of quality control you need to be a successful commercial brewer. The weiss beer is cloudy as expected and the head is actually pretty good for a lightly hopped beer. Moving on to the taste.

Flavor is classic hefeweizen. Loads of banana and clove yeast flavor. Mostly clove. This fits perfectly for the style. Though there really isn't anything unique going on here flavor-wise. This is exactly what you would expect going into a hefeweizen. No more and not a bit less. It hit the spot but I wouldn't be fair if I gave it too high of a score. It would be just above the bell curve if this were a test. I don't really taste any hops but I don't want to when I drink these.

In the end, this is a beer that will give you what you want. As long as you don't expect to be blown away. If you find a wheat beer that is cheaper I would try it. Most likely it's just as good as this. Unless you are talking about Dundee's failed wheat beer. Makes sense that this is brewed in Utica. This is pretty much identical to the Saranac Hefeweizen. Must be in the water. I'd love to do a side by side comparison sometime.

Final Score: 77% (A Solid Hefe, But Nothing Special)

No comments: