Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Beer Review: William Penn Lager


Commonwealth Brewing Company William Penn Colonial Style Lager

I picked this up on whim. I had a craving for an easy drinking lager and took a chance with this. It also helped that I have never seen this beer anywhere so I jumped at the opportunity. Pours a medium copper color, similar to a marzen beer. They describe it as a colonial style lager but from all the accounts I have read colonial beers were terrible. Should I expect a terrible lager?

Flavor is very rich in amber malt. Hops are noticeable but really dominated by the strong malt flavor. A bit of sour tang going on also. This is kind of like a Yuengling but with more malt. Fairly easy drinking but I don't think I would want more than two at a time. This is fairly clean but it feels like it is missing something. I suppose this would fall into the Vienna style lager category but I would much rather have a Sam Adams or a Brooklyn lager over this. It just doesn't have the hops to back up the increased malt flavor.

This is an OK beer but it really could use some improvement. I wish the hops were fresher and used in a larger quantity. They should either lighten up the malt or increase the hops. Lagers need balance and this one only has one leg to stand on.

Final Score: 68% (Not the Commonwealth's Finest)

No comments: