Sunday, December 28, 2008

Beer Review: Saranac ESB

F.X. Matt Brewing Company Saranac Extra Special Bitter Ale

Another Saranac limited winter release. This is one of my favorite styles as it tend to be balanced and drinkable. You get a little bit of everything. Pours a dark amber color with a creamy head that sticks around for a couple minutes. Aroma is very fleeting with a little bit of lightly roasted malt coming through.

Flavor is nearly identical to the pale ale that Saranac produces. This leans a bit more on the malty side though. Still very noticeable hops however. This is very refreshing and drinkable. This is one that I could enjoy year round. I would really like to drink this next to the pale ale and compare the two styles. Most of the ESBs that I have had have a sort of apple crispness to them that this doesn't have. I really miss that.

This is a solid ale and a decent addition to the winter releases but it really doesn't do enough to distinguish itself from the flagship pale ale. This is very mediocre for the style. This is essentially a lightly roasted balanced hoppy ale. Nothing more and nothing less. This will not wow you but it can hit the spot. I am forced to give this a very average score.

Final Score: 74% (Average and Forgettable. I Expected More.)

No comments: