Sunday, December 7, 2008

Beer Review: Clipper CIty Peg Leg

Clipper City Brewing Company Peg Leg Imperial Stout

Another brew in the Heavy Seas line from Clipper City. I love a good imperial stout. They work excellently with the December chill. This one pours a dark brown as expected with a solid head. Doesn't get too high but really sticks around as a low level. Aroma is very much chocolate and alcohol. You will be hard pressed to find a more inviting aroma.

Flavor is extremely chocolaty. This is the most drinkable imperial stout that I have yet to encounter. This still has the alcoholic bite and rich roasted malt goodness of an imperial stout yet is somehow easy to drink. Sipping is recommended but not required. The hops are also here in more force than normal for a stout. I really like this. Its an attempt at balance for a beer that thrives on being extremely one sided and decadent. The crazy part is they actually succeed.

I highly recommend this to anyone who loves a big beer and wants to experience a balanced brew. This is a great effort from Clipper City and one that I will seek out in the future. I've had imperial stouts with more alcohol but this just seems right. Enough to pack a punch but still goes down easy. I never thought balance could be brought to this style. Turns out I was wrong.

Final Score: 94% (A Balanced,Way Above Average Imperial Stout)



I would definitely consider buying a six pack of these. They are big beers that go down easy. An extremely hard task to pull off.

No comments: