Friday, February 13, 2009

Beer Review: Stone Cali-Belgique IPA

Stone Brewing Company Cali-Belgique India Pale Ale

This was an interesting find with a very bizarre name. It makes sense when put in the context of a west coast style IPA brewed with a Belgian yeast strain. Very intriguing. Could it be the best of both worlds? Pours a fairly light copper color with a strong head. Loads of lacing all over the glass. Aromas of Belgian spiciness and fresh hops quickly rise to your brain. So far so good.

Flavor is solid but not as crazy or delicious as I expected. The hops are certainly there in a big way. No questioning that. The spiciness is also there. The only problem I have is that there isn't much else beyond that. I don't know what I expected but at a price of $8 for a 22 oz. bomber but this isn't enough bang for the buck.

This is a great beer. You get loads of hops and a ton of Belgian spiciness but it really isn't as complex or mind blowing as it needs to be to justify the price. I love the Stone brewery but I will stick to their other offerings. Give it a try if you feel like splurging but don't expect to be blown out of the water. If they made this for less I would be thrilled.

Final Score: 78% (Great Beer. Bad Price.)

No comments: