Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Beer Review: Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery 90 Minute Imperial India Pale Ale

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this earlier. I think I assumed I did without realizing it. Sam Calagione is a master brewer and you are almost always guaranteed to get your money's worth (even with the somewhat higher prices). This hoppy brew pours a deep copper color with a very robust white head. Aroma is very citrusy and piney. Some very sweet malt aromas come through as well. Lots of lacing all over the glass. Very inviting.

The flavor is nothing short of wonderful. The full and rich hoppy flavor is heavily balanced by a very large amount of malt. At 9% ABV this is one rich beer. I had a huge craving for hops today and this is sure to quench it. The hop flavor is very strong and would be overpowering if not for the gigantic malt quantity used to counter it. Despite it's intimidating name and gravity this is a very balanced beer.

This is one of the best Imperial IPAs available. If you are in the mood for a big, bold, hoppy beer this will rock your world. The only complaint I have about this is that it comes in four packs for the same price as a standard six pack. I know that the quality is higher than usual but I would still prefer buying this in six packs. Four just never feels right. The quality is worth it though. You won't be disappointed.

Final Score: 93% (Wonderfully Hoppy and Rich. Craving Satisfied.)

No comments: