Thursday, March 26, 2009

Beer Reivew: Arcadia Cocoa Loco

Arcadia Brewing Company Cocoa Loco Stout

My first encounter with Arcadia's big beer series. This is of the 2006 vintage. I am excited about this creation. I love a chocolaty stout and this one should be able to deliver. The loco pours a very dark brown color with one of the darkest heads I have ever seen. Impressive work. Aroma is loads of chocolate. Very exciting.

The flavor of this brew is amazing. Rich chocolaty flavors immediately come through and end very smoothly. The lactose addition really makes this drinkable. Aging could have helped a bit too. This is that rare big beer that you just want to keep drinking and drinking. The molasses flavor stays in the background but does surface after the initial shock of chocolate. The sweet flavors swirling around in the glass add plenty of complexity. Just don't expect a very pronounced hop presence.

You will not be disappointed with this beer. Occasionally, I will try a beer advertised as chocolaty and be very disappointed. I was not with this. This has what I feel is a maximum chocolate concentration for beer. The use of different fermentables really add a tremendous amount of depth to this crazy ale.

Final Score: 95% (One of the Best Stouts Around. Chocolaty Paradise.)

No comments: