Monday, April 27, 2009

Beer Review: Saranac Amber Wheat

F.X. Matt Brewing Company Saranac Amber Wheat

Another of the new releases contained in the 12 Beers of Summer pack. I suppose this may be the hefeweizen replacement. While I love that beer, I am always up for trying something new. The only question is whether amber will be too much for the summer. Pours a very cloudy/unfiltered amber color with a very robust head. A fair amount of lacing on the glass with a solid aroma of sweet amber malt.

Flavor is very good. Copious quantities of amber malt really allow a depth to this brew that many of the blonde/golden wheat beers seldom achieve. The unfiltered nature of the beer also allows a nice refreshing yeast quality that really goes down well on the hot days. This is similar to a standard summer ale, just with more yeast, and much more amber malt. Hops are not here in force.

In the end, it really comes down to two things. This is one of the most drinkable summer releases I have had so far. This is also very rich in amber malt to the point that it makes my mouth water as I write this. I don’t miss the hops at all right now. This brew combines the drinkability of a light blonde weizen with the rich malt body of an amber ale. You will enjoy this.

Final Score: 85% (Mouth Watering. Unfiltered. Need More Than Two.)

No comments: