Monday, April 27, 2009

Beer Review: Saranac Rye Pilsener

F.X. Matt Brewing Company Saranac Rye Pilsener Lager

The final new release of the Saranac 12 Beers of Summer. This is probably the release I was looking forward to the most as I love a good rye beer and always enjoy classic styles redone with a little bit of rye malt. I still am not certain of the official spelling of this style of beer (pilsener or pilsner? I certainly see both.) but I will continue on. Pours a golden/bronze color with a light head. Minimal malt aroma going on.

The flavor is very well done. I think this may be the standout of the new releases. The rye malt melds well with the very rich golden malt to create a unique combination that is very drinkable. Hoppiness is also here in full force. All the spicy hop goodness that you enjoy in a traditional pilsener is here.

Overall, this has fantastic drinkability and a great rye malt complexity that is hard to come by. This is the one new Saranac brew that I think has enough strength to stand on its own and get sold in six packs. This is a great addition to the mix pack and will be very thirst quenching on those particularly hot days.

Final Score: 86% (Deep and Thirst Quenching. What a Summer Release Should Be.)

No comments: