Thursday, January 31, 2008

Beer Review: Saranac Summer Ale

Saranac Summer Ale

Having a summer ale in the middle of winter is really a interesting experience. I really don't know how I managed to find one of these in the liquor store but I did. From 2005 no less. Maybe its a bit stale but this one still has some character. You can actually see what I think are lemon particles floating around. Smell is of cloves and lemon. No more, no less.

Pours a light copper color with an average head. Looks like a nice light summer beer. This is what it delivers and promises. I have a hard time reviewing this beer. If I had it in the summer at the Adirondacks I would be beyond happy. To me having a beer in the woods is what summer is all about. But I didn't have this in the Adirondacks in the summer. I had this in the middle of winter in Jersey City.

Despite being out of place it is pretty good. Not the most complex or knockout beer but it is a great light summer beer. Good for boating or anything else in warm weather. Very refreshing and flavorful. Not as good in the middle of winter.

Final Score: 73% (Great in its element, Mediocre elsewhere)

No comments: