Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Beer Review: Wolavers Pumpkin Ale

Wolavers Will Stevens' Organic Pumpkin Ale

My first organic beer review. I really do love pumpkin ales, an organic pumpkin ale just makes sense. I think of pumpkins being grown on very remote, rural farms in upstate New York where there is one little mom and pop shop in the town. I love mental imagery as well. This brew pours a medium copper (pumpkin?) color with a fantastic head. The lacing is also great, far better than any other pumpkin ale I have had. Many pumpkin ales are just a malty ale with some spicing thrown in. This is definitely not the case here.

The first thing I notice about this brew is the pumpkin and a good amount of hops. I love the farm fresh flavor of this. Everything just tastes fresh, full, and homegrown. Having some fresh hops thrown into a pumpkin ale really makes a huge difference. Makes other harvest ales just taste stale. I don't know if its because its organic or not but the flavors just feel like they were finished brewing a couple of hours ago. Everything explodes in your mouth.

I will definitely be trying more offerings from Wolavers. I will also be sure to get another 6-pack (or case) of this if I can find it. Don't be a fool, this is easily the best pumpkin ale of the season. Even if you don't ordinarily like these you owe it to yourself to try this.

Final Score: 94% (Fresh Flavor and Pumpkin Rich)

I wish there were more organic beers in the world. If this beer is any indication they are a force to be rekonded with.

No comments: