Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Beer Review: Honey Moon

Blue Moon Brewing Co. Honey Moon Summer Ale

I really enjoy honey and beer. One of the first beers I brewed, a honey pale ale, was one of my favorites. Something about the body that honey adds to the beer. This was one I was really looking forward to. Blue Moon, despite being owned by Coors, has made some decent beers. Nothing to rave about but beers that can blow a standard macro lager out of the water. I am normally not impressed with summer seasonals (seems like only lemony summer ales and pilsners) so I look for different things. A summer ale with honey falls into this category. Pours a cloudy pale straw color with a head that disappears after a short while. Aroma smells like pale malt, not much else.

Flavor is pretty good. The pale malt comes through most heavily followed by the honey and then a bit of the wheat. It's very interesting in appearance. There is quite a large amount of particulates in the glass that settles to the bottom quickly. I guess that it is yeast but it could also be honey. Regardless, this beer tastes pretty damn good.

Having a rich malt body and the flavor of honey this is different from most summer ales. I don't get any overwhelming lemon or citrus flavors. This is a good departure from boring summer seasonals. Definitely give it a shot if you want something with more punch and flavor. Don't get me wrong, it's not a heavy rich ale, but compared to other summer beers this is obese.

Final Score: 77% (Great for Summer, Average for the Rest of the Year)

No comments: