Saturday, August 30, 2008

Beer Review: Saranac Pumpkin Ale

Matt Brewing Co. Saranac Pumpkin Ale

I love a good pumpkin ale now and then and try to enjoy them as much as possible during the fall as it is nearly impossible to find them any other time of year. I am also a huge fan of pumpkin pie. This is truly a great time of year to have beer. The head pours a rich off white color that lingers for a good while. Not very much lacing going on here. Aroma is of spiced malt as expected. I can't really distinguish which spices I smell but I get something. This is really a hearty ale also which is a great quality. I look for more than just a spiced beer with a pumpkin ale.

Flavor is very good. I was not sure about it at first but it really grew on me. The vanilla and cinnamon really make this a great beer. Its got the malty goodness of a rich ale with all the flavor and spice of a pumpkin pie. I will be sad to see these go eventually but at the end of August I will hopefully have them around for a while longer.

This is a great quality pumpkin ale offered at a below average price. I picked up a six-pack for 6.99 which was at least a dollar lower than other breweries were charging. I am becoming annoyed with Dogfish head as I enjoy their pumpkin ale but they only give you four bottles and charge you more money. In the words of moe "a Saranac will do just fine".

Final Score: 88% (A Delicious, Spicy, and Economic Fall Offering)

No comments: