Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Beer Review: Samuel Adams Octoberfest

Boston Beer Company Samuel Adams Octoberfest Lager

Finally, the bigger autumn beers have started showing up. I wanted to try this last year but was somehow unable to find it. I grabbed some and ran. This seasonal lager pours a rich mahogany color with an gigantic head that nearly overflows. Surprisingly, I get more hops in the aroma than malt. I really love the color of this beer, it is the perfect autumn beer. Dark enough to be out of summer but not yet as roasted and black as winter yet.

Flavor is very much the child of Munich. The biscuit-like Munich malt really comes through. This is one of my favorite styles of beer and the malt plays a critical role in this. This is one of the few styles of beer that really shows off its malt. I love a good hoppy beer but its nice to have a beer that has its rich malt come through.

This is a great beer overall, and above average for the style. I certainly would drink this over other beers and even many other Oktoberfest/Octoberfest (however you want to spell it) brews. Overall, I say kudos to Sam Adams for giving us an authentic American done German brew.

Final Score: 86% (One of the Best Oktoberfest Style Beers)

No comments: