Sunday, August 3, 2008

Beer Review: Climax Hoffmann Hefeweizen


Climax Brewing Company Hoffman Hefeweizen Wheat Ale

This is the best hefeweizen I have ever had. This is also one of the few brews that I have been able to talk to the brew master about. I met Dave Hoffmann a few weeks ago and he described the thinking behind this unique wheat ale. He really disliked the clove taste that usually accompanies a hefeweizen so he decided to emphasize the banana flavor. He did this using a unique yeast strain at a lower than normal temperature. The results are impressive.

This beer pours a cloudy golden color with a malty banana aroma. The head is very modest but lingers around the edges of the glass. The flavor is very much banana dominant. Considering the banana flavor is what I really enjoy in a hefeweizen this is a great thing. Who needs cloves? This to me is the shining example of what a hefeweizen can be. I would describe this as banana bread beer. A great thing.

My only criticism is that this is a seasonal beer with limited quantities. It would be nice to buy this year round. Hopefully as Climax grows in popularity this becomes more of an option. If you don't like the traditional hefeweizens I suggest giving this one a shot. This is a refreshing change from the template.

Final Score: 92% (An Exciting and Unique Hefeweizen)

No comments: