Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Beer Review: Saranac Belgian Ale


Saranac Belgian Ale

My fourth of the six beers for the Saranac 12 Beers of Winter packs. This Belgian style ale pours a cloudy amber color with a decent head that has some lacing. I didn't know what to expect from this considering I have had some great Belgian ales and while Saranac produces great beers at low prices it would be hard to fill the shoes of some of these pricey Trappist style ales.

The flavor is pretty damn good for how cheap this beer is. I have been debating about whether or not price should factor into these but I feel it may be necessary. Bottom Line: A great cheap beer is better than a great expensive beer. This is an almost great relatively cheap beer. Especially considering the malt and hop shortage. The flavor is very much spiced. I don't get the fruity flavor described by the bottle but I do get lots of spice. It's very similar to a Blue Moon.

Overall this is enjoyable. Not something that will impress someone who has had tasted the best of Belgium beers but this is a great intro. It also adds a great amount of variety to the winter pack. If this was sold as a six pack I might buy it, but probably not.

Final Score: 71% (Mediocre but Less Expensive)

No comments: