Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Beer Review: Saranac Winter Wassail

Saranac Winter Wassail Ale

I am proud to have gotten my hands on another Saranac 12 Beers of Winter pack. They were all over the place in October/November but have been scarce from January till now. I love being able to get it early but I wish they spaced out the shipping or upped the production a little more. I feel like I will start seeing the 12 Beers of Summer any day now. Don't get me wrong, I love the summer pack as well. But I just would like releases to occur with the season they are meant for. I want winter beer throughout the winter and summer beer throughout the summer. I also would love it if they came out with a 12 Beers of Autumn or Spring but I suppose that may be asking too much. Anyway...

This ale pours a clear copper color with excellent lacing and a creamy head. The aroma is of spice. Nutmeg and cinnamon dominate. Spice also plays a significant role in the flavor as well. This almost reminds me of an Oktoberfest beer with some spices thrown into the brew. I really enjoy this. Its not the deepest beer around but it is definitely in the holiday spirit and I know of few months that may need holiday spirit more than March. The rain and cold would do well to learn a thing or two from Rudolph and his snow antics.

Overall, this is a nice beer. Not going to blow your mind or wow you with subtle flavors. But it is enjoyable and a bit different than what you might normally find in a beer. Unfortunately, I don't have an example of another wassail to compare it to as this is the only one I have tried. Definitely worth the time and something you should experience.

Final Score: 74% (Enjoyable but Not Superb)

No comments: