Thursday, October 16, 2008

Beer Review: Blue Point Hoptical Illusion

Blue Point Brewing Company Hoptical Illusion India Pale Ale

The first thing that strikes me is that this is a strange name for an IPA. The name makes me wonder how much hopping actually occurred here. I wonder if this is some trick. What is the illusion? I have no idea, maybe it's just a play on words. Being that I am currently living part time in Long Island I felt that it was time for me to try some of the local offerings. This IPA pours a dark amber with a robust, lingering head. Aroma is all hops. Rock on.

Flavor is really good. The large amount of hops used is immediately noticed. I get lots of earthy and grassy hop flavors. The malt is also a great. Usually with a standard IPA the malt is good but nothing to take note of. This comes with delicious chocolate and caramel notes to balance out the strong hopping. This is definitely an above average IPA. Complex and drinkable in all categories. A great example of a big balanced beer.

This is a great beer. I would certainly consider getting more of these. You won't even notice the higher than average alcohol content (6.8%). If you have a craving for some serious hops this is no disappointment. They should call this hoptical no-illusion (takes some serious brain power to come up with this stuff).

Final Score: 89% (A Great IPA, Delightful in All Areas)

No comments: