Monday, October 13, 2008

Beer Review: Saranac Hefeweizen


Matt Brewing Company Saranac Hefeweizen Wheat Ale

Definitely one of my favorite styles of beer. Wheat beer screams summer and warm weather to me. I love the combination of drinkability and depth of flavor. Pours a cloudy gold color with a rich and creamy head. It smells like a ripe banana.

Flavor is very good. Banana flavors hit you right away with a slight amount of clove. Refreshing and satisfying. I am not crazy about cloves and this brew keeps them to a minimum. This was the first hefeweizen that I got to experience and I hold it as the standard as a result. Other hefeweizens are better but this is damn good. I don't really taste any hops but that is expected. The hopping should be very light in this style.

If you want something inexpensive, satisfying, and different you can't go wrong with this. This is a staple of my summers and I suggest you make it one of yours. I think I just might need another.

Final Score: 90% (Banana Wheat Goodness...)

No comments: