Monday, October 27, 2008

Beer Review: Stoudts Gold Lager

Stoudts Brewing Company Munich Helles Gold Lager

My first Stoudts review, about fucking time. A great PA brewery that offers some selections that aren't the standard fare. I love a good Helles. I used to think of it as a summer only beer but I have been finding myself with a craving year round. A beer like this is very impressive when done well because it has so little to cover up flaws. Even a light pilsener has stronger hopping. This has a balanced combo of hops and malt where both flavors a very noticable. This seems to be very hard to come by in such a pale beer. Pours a golden yellow color with a nice head. Some lacing with a honey malty aroma. Not sure where the honey came from but I like it.

Flavor is very good. Some malty sweetness balanced by earthy, grassy hop goodness and more than a hint of honey. They didn't use any honey but I view this as a nice yeast product. This is a very flavorful and surprisingly complex beer. Very drinkable yet deep enough to relax and enjoy. This is one of the most deliciously balanced beers out there.

I really enjoy this beer. The amount of flavor and aroma I am getting out of this pale malt is very surprising. I would love to get my hands on this yeast. I am thrilled that this is available year round. This may not be the best Helles I have had but it certainly is a great go to beer. I applaud Stoudts for attempting and succeeding at making such a difficult and hard to sell beer.
Final Score: 87% (Very Good Bright Beer, Balanced, Delicious, and Light)

No comments: