Thursday, October 30, 2008

Beer Review: Fosters Special Bitter

. Fosters Australia Ltd. Fosters Special Bitter Premium Ale

This is my first Fosters beer. I had heard that the lager was just like any other macro lager and didn't really live up to the 90's hype that hit America. I saw that they had this giant can (25.4 oz) of special bitter ale and I had to give it a shot. I don't get too many chances to try this kind of ale and I wanted to see what Fosters take on this was. Pours a caramel amber color (makes sense since they add caramel color to the beer) with a white head. Some lacing all around the glass.

Flavor is fairly nice. I am not sure what the alcohol content is but they certainly don't do a good job of hiding whatever it is. I get that tongue cooling evaporation feeling during each sip along with a slight green apple taste that I find in many ESBs. This really isn't that bitter, I get a slight hop background used only for bitterness but no real hop aroma or flavor. This is a step up from your standard macro lager but it doesn't take it to a whole new level. This is on par with a Yuengling quality.

Overall, this is a very drinkable light ESB. Not the most flavorful or complex brew but it is fairly true to the style and at a very modest price. I would definitely consider getting this again if the craving hits me. I want to try their lager now just to see how that holds up. Give this a try if you are on a budget and want to try something that has some flavor. This would make a good intro to the style.

Final Score: 72% (Some Flavor and Style Points but Not Anywhere Near the Best)

No comments: