Sunday, October 12, 2008

Beer Review: Budweiser American Ale

Anheuser-Busch Inc. Budweiser American Ale

I've been wanting to try this one for a while now. Finally got a chance to pick some up to see how AB's ale adds up. First thing I noticed was the excellent head and rich amber color. Very nice appearance. The head really sticks around with even some lacing present! I never thought I would see a Budweiser product with lacing. Aroma is very nice, I get some nice floral hop aroma with a nice malt background.

Flavor is very surprising. This is really a solid example of an American Pale ale. I don't taste any cut corners (rice) here. Very professionally balanced, I get enough of the slightly roasted amber malt with a solid hop presence. The hops really jump out. A quick bite with some smooth bitterness. Nothing too extreme but worlds better than the bland Budweiser lager. The dry-hopping really paid off.

I applaud Anheuser-Busch for getting smart and starting to cater towards the craft beer community. This is up there with any pale ale you'll find. I hope they continue to develop a line of richer, more flavorful beers and transition away from bland rice beer. The future of AB should be interesting.

Final Score: 83% (A Great Pale Ale, Budweiser fights Back)

No comments: