Monday, October 13, 2008

Beer Review: Saison Dupont

Brasserie Dupont Saison Dupont Belgian Farmhouse Ale

The saison style is quickly becoming one of my favorite beer styles. Its got everything I love about beer. A ridiculous head, fruity ester flavor, hops galore, and unfiltered yeast goodness. At 6.5% ABV this pulls no punches either. The head is out of control, it fills up quick and lingers for a long time. A true product of bottle conditioning and quality Belgian yeast. Lacing sticks around for quite a while as well. Aroma is of citrusy hop and spicy fruity esters.

Flavor is obscenely good. This is truly a unique style of beer and if you haven't had a Saison I suggest you go out right now and find one. The spicy flavor the Belgian yeast contributes works so well with the strong bitter hop backbone. Its like a ying and yang, just done in an unexpected way. The hop oils taste so fresh. They must have done some dry hopping here. So full and rich in every way.

I really love this beer. I will certainly buy more of these. I wish more American craft brewers would attempt this style. I would love to have a readily available six pack. This is what the mystical Belgian brewing tradition is all about. Amazing and mysterious flavor. I can't think of one negative thing to say. This is traditional farmhouse ale at its best. I would work in the fields for this.

Final Score: 98% (Yes a Ridiculously High Score... Dupont Earns It!)

No comments: