Friday, November 21, 2008

Beer Review: Lord Chesterfield Ale

D.G. Yuengling & Son Lord Chesterfield Ale

I believe this is my first Yuengling review. Very surprising. I remember having this about a year ago and being very disappointed. I decided to pick up a single and give it a second try. Singles are good for second chances. This is the only ale brewed by Yuengling and named after Philp Stanhope, 4th Earl of Chesterfield. No idea why they decided to name this after him. Aroma is very skunky with a bit of corn malt. Not a good sign. I really want breweries to stop using these damn green bottles. I want to avoid all skunky flavors. I am willing to pay the extra 50 cents a six pack (if its even that much).

Flavor is surprisingly bland for an ale. Even though I remember being disappointed before I was still surprised by how unremarkable this is. This may be Yuengling's hoppiest beer but it that apparently doesn't say much. I definitely taste the bittering and flavor hops but it really leaves you wanting more. The malt flavor is very bland. You can really tell when a brewery uses corn to add to the body. I would describe this as a skunkier version of their traditional lager. There is nothing ale-like about this.

I really do enjoy most of the Yuengling offerings. They are some of the best value beers out there. I advise you to stick with the Yuengling porter or the traditional lager. They are worlds better than this. Steer clear of lord chesterfield. You won't end up with what you want, regardless of what you are looking for.

Final Score: 61% (Skunky, Disappointing, and Bland.)

No comments: