Thursday, November 13, 2008

Beer Review: Wild Blue Lager

Blue Dawg Brewing Company Wild Blue Lager

There is one tip off sign that should have told me that this beer would be different. The fact that this "beer" is called a blueberry lager but also referred to as a flavored ale on the side of the bottle. Correct me if I am wrong but as I understand it both can't be true. An ale is top fermented while a lager is bottom fermented. Maybe ale is just some antiquated way of describing that the alcohol content is above average. At 8% ABV you can't blame the alcohol for your lack of a good time. Just the flavor. As you can see in the picture above, this pours a very purple blueberry color with a short lived blueberry looking head. Aroma reeks of blueberries.

Flavor is just blueberry and alcohol. If this didn't say lager on the bottle I would have no idea this was even a beer. I get absolutely no malt or hops. Just fruit. Usually, a fruit beer can hit the spot if it is done with discretion and the beer flavor is in balance with the small amount of fruit flavor. There is no attempt at balance here. Pure berry alcoholic flavor. I really wish I didn't have a whole six pack of this.

This would make a great beer for someone who doesn't like beer. I don't really see the market for this since people who don't like beer won't buy this. People who like and want beer won't like this. This may be the worst "beer" I have ever had. Even other horrible beers at least bear some resemblance to the elixir of the gods. Let's get rid of the "may be". This is my least favorite beer. I can't even drink this. I don't recommend this to anyone. If you just want to get drunk try malt liquor or vodka. They are both cheaper and leave you less frustrated.

Final Score: 20% (Horrible Overbearing Fruit Flavor. No Beer Here.)

2 comments:

sujo said...

Well i was thinking i'd like the Wild Blue Lager,since i normally like the bluedawg ales.. i will however bow to your expertise...

LumbeerJohn said...

Definitely give it a shot. If you like blueberry this will not disappoint. I just didn't taste much besides the berry flavor. Thanks for the comment!