Monday, November 24, 2008

Beer Review: Saranac Vanilla Stout

F.X. Matt Brewing Company Saranac Vanilla Stout Ale

A new 12 beers of winter! I am happy to be able to try the latest Saranac offerings. The old ones will be missed but I always have room in my heart for new beers. Pours a dark mahogany color with a pretty good head. Sticks around for a while. Aroma is definitely of vanilla and roasted malt. No hops in the aroma. Lets see how it tastes.

This is a decent beer. The vanilla flavor is there and it's not as dominant as I was afraid it would be. It works well with the dark roasted malt flavor. I do wish it was a little fresher tasting. This just feels like it is missing something. This is an OK stout but this can't compete with the Caramel Porter that they released in the last 12 beers of winter. The stout just doesn't excel in any area. They went a bit overboard with the bittering hops. The bitterness completely overwhelms the vanilla flavor.

I just feel underwhelmed. This is fairly drinkable but this isn't something I would get a six pack of. Definitely different from a standard stout but this probably won't amaze you. I'd like to try this one on draft and see how it fares. If you want a lot of vanilla flavor or a warming stout seek elsewhere.

Final Score: 72% (Disappointing. Needs Improvement.)

No comments: