Friday, November 21, 2008

Beer Review: Ramstein Classic Wheat

High Point Wheat Beer Company Ramstein Classic Wheat Beer

Continuing in the efforts of supporting local breweries I picked up this bottle of wheat beer brewed in Butler, NJ. I can say that I've never had a beer like this before. I've had dark wheat beers but never one that tasted anything like this. Pours a very dark amber color similar to a porter or stout with a very brief head (could have been a poorly cleaned glass). Aroma is very clean, all I get is smooth wheat. Almost smells like a small bakery.

I went into this thinking I would end up with a wheat bock of sorts. Flavor is not at all what I expected. The roasted wheat malt really comes through strong. Very delicious. Has an apple-like acidic bite as well. If you baked wheat bread with apples and blackened it a bit you might get an idea of what this tastes like. This is incredibly easy to drink for such a dark beer. The esters produced by this ale fermentation really add some layers of complexity. As it warms the fruity clove flavors really come through. I don't get a strong hop flavor but I usually can't detect much in dark or wheat beers. They aren't missed.

It is nice to see a brewery focus on one continent in the large world of beer. I am looking forward to more of these in the future as well as trying their other offerings. I'd love to see their take on the traditional hefeweizen style. If you see this you should definitely pick it up. I still have yet to have a Bavarian beer on location but this has to be pretty damn close. This is a joy for your pallet as well as your brain. Great job High Point!

Final Score: 94% (Happy Tongue. Dark Wheat Beer.)

No comments: